News Media: Select Preview or Website to View.

Rising costs and increasing difficult logistics issues have doomed the annual Rolling Thunder motorcycle tribute to veterans, signaling the end one of Washington D.C.'s most iconic Memorial Day events.Since 1987, thousands of U.S. veterans and motorcycle enthusiasts have descended on the nation's capital for the annual Rolling Thunder memorial ...

Posted: 
Source: Washington Times - Washington, United States
Author: 
Share:
sendShareButton sendTweetButton sendPlusButtonView Source

The Metro board on Thursday overwhelmingly approved allowing the transit agency to charge higher fares during major events, but postponed a discussion on restoring late-night service.Metro now has the authority to charge 'peak fares' during special events when large crowds can tax the subway. Transit officials can choose which ...

Posted: 
Source: Washington Times - Washington, United States
Author: 
Share:
sendShareButton sendTweetButton sendPlusButtonView Source

ANALYSIS/OPINION:Overseers of public charters tighten the screws on accountability. Are overseers of traditional public schools doing the same?The Detroit News recently reported the states with the largest percentages of charter school closures since 2000: Kansas (77 percent); Iowa (73 percent); Ohio (58 percent); Wisconsin (43 percent); Virginia (40 ...

Posted: 
Source: Washington Times - Washington, United States
Author: 
Share:
sendShareButton sendTweetButton sendPlusButtonView Source

Elijah Brooks is resigning as head coach of a local high school football powerhouse to join Mike Locksley's staff at the University of Maryland.Brooks has coached DeMatha Catholic High School in Hyattsville, Maryland, since 2011. The Stags won four consecutive league championships from 2013 to 2016 in the competitive ...

Posted: 
Source: Washington Times - Washington, United States
Author: 
Share:
sendShareButton sendTweetButton sendPlusButtonView Source

A Virginia drugmaker said Wednesday that it will roll out a far cheaper, generic version of its overdose-reversing naloxone, one month after Senate investigators accused the company of capitalizing on the U.S. opioid epidemic by dramatically hiking its price.Richmond-based Kaleo will charge $178 for a carton of two auto ...

Posted: 
Source: Washington Times - Washington, United States
Author: 
Share:
sendShareButton sendTweetButton sendPlusButtonView Source

BALTIMORE (AP) - A clash of seasonings is looming in federal court, as Maryland's Old Bay seeks to protect its trademark in a lawsuit against another spice blend, New Bae.The Daily Record reports Old Bay maker McCormick & Co. sued this week to stop Pittsburgh-based Primal Palate from using ...

Posted: 
Source: Washington Times - Washington, United States
 
Share:
sendShareButton sendTweetButton sendPlusButtonView Source

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) - Gov. Larry Hogan announced plans on Tuesday to create a $3.5 billion fund for school construction over five years.Much of the money will be available as the result of a constitutional amendment Maryland voters approved last month. It requires the state's portion of casino revenue ...

Posted: 
Source: Washington Times - Washington, United States
Author: 
Share:
sendShareButton sendTweetButton sendPlusButtonView Source

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (AP) - A jury recommended life plus 419 years on Tuesday for a man convicted of killing a woman and injuring dozens when he drove his car into counterprotesters at a white nationalist rally in Virginia.James Alex Fields Jr. stood stoically with his hands folded in front ...

Posted: 
Source: Washington Times - Washington, United States
Author: 
Share:
sendShareButton sendTweetButton sendPlusButtonView Source

BALTIMORE (AP) - A former Maryland pharmacist has been sentenced to more than three years in federal prison for illegally dispensing thousands of oxycodone pills in exchange for sex with women addicted to the painkiller.U.S. District Judge Ellen L. Hollander sentenced 64-year-old Richard Daniel Hiller of Owings Mills to ...

Posted: 
Source: Washington Times - Washington, United States
 
Share:
sendShareButton sendTweetButton sendPlusButtonView Source

The D.C. Council plans to reintroduce legislation that would require movie theaters to provide more open caption screenings, after a Tuesday hearing in which dozens testified about frequent failures of captioning glasses.Theater operators expressed worry about losing revenue with more captioned screenings, but lawmakers questioned their data and indicated ...

Posted: 
Source: Washington Times - Washington, United States
Author: 
Share:
sendShareButton sendTweetButton sendPlusButtonView Source

The National Weather Service says that rain expected this week in the D.C. area could set the annual precipitation record for the region.A 30 percent chance of rain Thursday night will grow to a 70 percent chance Friday with the potential for setting the record on annual rainfall, said ...

Posted: 
Source: Washington Times - Washington, United States
Author: 
Share:
sendShareButton sendTweetButton sendPlusButtonView Source

!-- p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; text-align: justify; line-height: 11.0px; font: 55.5px PoynterOSTextOne} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; text-align: justify; line-height: 11.0px; font: 9.5px PoynterOSTextOne} p.p3 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; text-indent: 12.0px; line-height: 11.0px; font: 9.5px PoynterOSTextOne} span.s1 {font-kerning: none} span.s2 {font: 9.5px Helvetica; font-kerning: none} --...

Posted: 
Source: Washington Times - Washington, United States
Author: 
Share:
sendShareButton sendTweetButton sendPlusButtonView Source

With three weeks left in 2018, the number of homicides in the District is nearly 45 percent higher that last year's total, prompting one lawmaker to say the city is in a 'state of emergency.'As of Monday, there have been 154 homicides this year in District, compared to 108 ...

Posted: 
Source: Washington Times - Washington, United States
Author: 
Share:
sendShareButton sendTweetButton sendPlusButtonView Source

A group of Northern Virginia residents is protesting the proposed construction of a large solar farm in their rural community, saying the project is more dangerous to the environment and surrounding towns than beneficial.The project is proposed by Utah-based Sustainable Power Group, known as sPower, and would be the ...

Posted: 
Source: Washington Times - Washington, United States
Author: 
Share:
sendShareButton sendTweetButton sendPlusButtonView Source

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - A lingering storm keeps dumping immobilizing snow, sleet or freezing rain across five southern states, leaving dangerously icy roads and hundreds of thousands of people without electricity. Authorities urged people to stay home on Monday in areas where driving is dangerous.Accidents on snow-covered interstates caused ...

Posted: 
Source: Washington Times - Washington, United States
 
Share:
sendShareButton sendTweetButton sendPlusButtonView Source

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (AP) - The same jury that convicted a man of first-degree murder for driving his car into counterprotesters at a 2017 white nationalist rally will now decide his punishment.The jury in the trial of James Alex Fields Jr. will reconvene Monday to hear additional evidence and come ...

Posted: 
Source: Washington Times - Washington, United States
 
Share:
sendShareButton sendTweetButton sendPlusButtonView Source

Two D.C. Council members are inquiring about the fire department's apparatus, as fire and city officials push back against a report in The Washington Times citing senior department sources who said a lack of reserve vehicles contributed to a woman's death in a fire late Tuesday.'I am scheduled to ...

Posted: 
Source: Washington Times - Washington, United States
Author: 
Share:
sendShareButton sendTweetButton sendPlusButtonView Source

ANALYSIS/OPINION:The meme that popped up on Facebook read:'2011 - '50 Shades of Grey' sells 125 million copies.'2018 - 'Baby it's Cold Outside' is offensive.'To be more accurate, the popular seasonal song has actually been banned on many radio stations as a result of the #MeToo culture ...

Posted: 
Source: Washington Times - Washington, United States
Author: 
Share:
sendShareButton sendTweetButton sendPlusButtonView Source

The Redskins' long-term future - specifically, where they will play - we don't know. But we do know that there will be a football team playing in 2020, in the District of Columbia, at Audi Field, a stadium the city helped build.That much we know.And it ought to ...

Posted: 
Source: Washington Times - Washington, United States
Author: 
Share:
sendShareButton sendTweetButton sendPlusButtonView Source

ANALYSIS/OPINION:Chris Van Hollen, the junior senator from Maryland, appears to have volunteered himself as the water bearer for education reform. The Democrat already has synchronized strategy with the teachers' unions and other progressive groups that want to rewrite the narrative on school choice.If they succeed over the course ...

Posted: 
Source: Washington Times - Washington, United States
Author: 
Share:
sendShareButton sendTweetButton sendPlusButtonView Source
Search News Media for: